WSUP is a non-profit partnership between the private sector, NGOs and research institutions focused on solving the global problem of inadequate water and sanitation in low-income urban communities.
It brings lasting solutions to low-income areas by working in partnership with service providers including water utilities, local authorities and businesses, and the communities they serve.
WSUP strengthens the capacity of service providers to deliver sustainable city-wide water and sanitation services, promote good hygiene and raise the environmental standards of low- income communities.
What makes WSUP unique?
- Its role as professional partner to local service providers interested in improving services to the urban poor at scale.
- Its ability to provide not-for-profit professional support from all sectors which is demand driven and targeted.
- Its commitment to finding new and innovative approaches to deliver change.
- WSUP works with and is guided by local service providers, providing specialised assistance in addressing this complex challenge.
- Its members and partners each contribute their particular skills and experience, pooling their strengths for greater effectiveness and reach.
- Its commitment to open and accountable partnerships and to delivering solutions that will last over time and protect scarce water resources.
- WSUP is an effective and forward-looking choice for investing in the lives of the urban poor.
Who are the local service providers (LSPs)?
WSUP exists because of what we perceive to be a failure of both governments and markets to provide access to water and sanitation to a huge number of the world’s poorest people. It was established as a result of the frustration of a group of people who could see what needed to be done, but were constrained by the ways in which their own organisations were able to operate.
A genuine collaboration between the for profit, not for profit and academic communities that seeks to bring the best of each to bear on one of the world’s most pressing problems.
Will Day - Chair of Board of Directors, WSUP