Mission and Values
To improve the lives of the urban poor in developing countries by strengthening the capacity of local service providers and others to provide sustainable water and sanitation services, promote good hygiene and raise the health and environmental standards of the community.
WSUP's vision of success for the sector
Strong local service providers (LSPs) and local community organisations providing affordable, clean water, safe sanitation and improved hygiene sustainably to the world’s urban poor.
WSUP responds to the needs to meet the MDGs, improve health, reduce poverty, strengthen economic development and enhance the urban environment: stronger service providers, better services for all.
WSUPs work is underpinned by strong values. These are:
- Openness – WSUP works with its partners, inside the WSUP organisation and externally, in an open and honest way to deliver water and sanitation programmes to poor communities
- Respect – WSUP works with local service providers and communities in an open and transparent way, respecting local customs and values.
- Inclusion – WSUP ensures benefits reach all sections of the community, including the poorest and most vulnerable, and involve women in a meaningful way.
- Responsibility – WSUP works to a high ethical standard using resources from communities, governments and external sources in a responsible and accountable manner, in order to provide services that are effective, efficient and equitable.
- Learning and Sharing – WSUP is committed to learning, to supporting new ideas, to sharing with the sector and to continually improving the effectiveness and efficiency of its work.